New Year. New Goals.
Exercise can fit right into those goals for the New Year. Make sure to get your movement in this month with the activities below:
Seated Calf Raises – increases strength and mobility in the lower leg
- Sit tall in a chair with your feet planted on the floor
- Start with one foot, lift your heel off the ground as high as you can with your toes still planted on the ground. Slowly lower heel back to the ground and repeat with the other leg.
Seated Hip Marches – Improve flexibility and mobility in the hips
- Sit tall in a sturdy chair with feet flat on the ground
- Hold on to the edges of your chair with both hands and use your core to stabilize yourself. Lift your right leg with your knee bent as high as you can as though doing a knee-march.
- Slowly lower your leg to the floor and repeat with the other leg
Seated Torso Twists – works to engage the core and encourages spinal mobility
- Sit tall, feet flat on the floor (make sure you don’t lean back in your chair)
- Put your hands behind your head; elbows bent, pointing out to the sides of the room
- Keeping your core strong, exhale and twist your torso to the right as far as you can comfortably
- Inhale and return to the center keeping your hips stable
- Switch sides and continue until you’ve done 5-7 repetitions
These are movements you can do from your chair and can help you stay active from home this winter!